Debbie Crawford recently saw a television report about soldiers in Iraq being electrocuted in the shower. So far, 16 American troops have died in accidental electrocutions there. Debbie worked as an electrician for a contractor in Baghdad from 2004 to 2006. She recently testified before Congress, stating that the company for which she worked was reckless in its disregard of safety standards - and that when she tried to point out electrical hazards, she was shut down.
Debbie talks with guest host Aaron Henkin about what she saw in Iraq and what made her speak out.
- Check out Debbie's blog - Ms. Sparky
- Read KBR's statements regarding the electrocution deaths in Iraq
I AM NOT A SPY
Like many Americans, Neil Smith was curious about China. When he got an urge to get out of town, he found a position in China teaching English.
Neil ended up in Hulu Dao City, in northeastern China, where it's often freezing cold. One day, he decided to take a walk on the beach that everyone had been telling him about. He soon found himself trapped by the tide, and he had to climb a rock wall to safety. After wandering through the woods for an hour or so, Neil came upon what he thought was a little house, but it turned out to be a guard station ... on a military base. The Chinese authorities thought Neil was a spy.
Neil talks with Dick Gordon about how he talked his way out of trouble.